Earlier this 12 months, the IRC in Greece hosted cooking workshops for refugee and native ladies dwelling on the island of Lesbos. A few of the ladies who took half talked to us about their expertise and shared their recipes.
Dimitra, born and raised in Lesbos, shared her recipe for stuffed tomatoes and peppers. “I selected this dish as a result of it’s recent and summery,” she says, but additionally as a result of the dish represents her personal migrant heritage. Her grandparents got here to Greece as refugees from Asia Minor. It was her grandmother who taught her how you can make stuffed tomatoes.
“I made the Asia Minor model, identical to my grandmother did, the place we put pine nuts and raisins along with the rice,” she says, including, “The state of affairs on Lesbos is tough for each refugees and locals, however we shouldn’t lose our humanity.”
Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
- 5 giant tomatoes, tops rigorously cored and saved, pulp eliminated and coarsely chopped
- 5 giant inexperienced peppers, tops rigorously cored and saved, seeds and spines eliminated
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 10 tablespoons Carolina rice, rinsed
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated (discard extra water)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, quartered
- 3 ounces pine nuts
- 3 ounces raisins
- 2 tablespoons recent parsley, finely chopped (save the stalks)
- 2 tablespoons recent mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons recent basil, finely chopped
- Smoked paprika, scorching paprika, chilli flakes, salt and pepper to style
- 1 cup olive oil
- In a big bowl, combine collectively the rice, zucchini, onion and garlic, half the chopped tomatoes, the feta cheese, the herbs, and the pine nuts and raisins.
- Stir within the oil, the smoked and scorching paprika, salt and pepper, and blend effectively.
- Fill the tomatoes and peppers with the combination (there needs to be one spoonful for every tomato/pepper).
- Place the stuffed tomatoes and peppers in a baking pan together with the coarsely chopped tomatoes, the potatoes, and the leftover parsley stalks.
- Put the “lids” on the tomatoes and peppers, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake in a preheated oven at 200 levels for at the very least 1 hour.
- When the lids seem effectively cooked, the tomatoes and peppers are prepared; serve with potatoes and chopped tomatoes.
Recipes from House
The Recipes from House sequence presents dishes lovingly ready by refugee and native ladies who attended the IRC cooking workshops held at Nan, a restaurant on the island of Lesbos. The intention of the workshops is to deliver collectively folks to advertise widespread experiences and mutual understanding via the common language of meals.
The workshops have been supported by the Western Union Basis.