Home made granola is tasty to eat any time of day, however in our household it is a staple for fall breakfasts with nonfat plain yogurt and contemporary fruit.
Not solely is granola a nutritious begin to the day, with its healthful mix of heart-healthy oats and chopped nuts, however a handful makes a satisfying after-school deal with with a glass of milk, and some spoonfuls add crunch to a scoop of ice cream for a night dessert.
Granola is really easy to arrange that you just and your children could make this recipe in a jiffy — just below an hour. Whereas one little one measures and stirs collectively the dry substances in an enormous bowl, one other can measure, pour and stir the liquids in one other.
Mix the entire substances within the massive bowl, and voila! The just-sweet-enough combination is prepared so that you can unfold on a baking sheet and place within the oven. Give it a try to see why the contemporary style of this do-it-yourself granola rivals any packaged combination.
World’s Greatest Granola
3 cups old style rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites, barely overwhelmed
1/2 cup raisins
This is the enjoyable:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with nonstick spray.
3. Mix the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nuts in a big mixing bowl.
4. Stir collectively the oil, vanilla and egg whites in a small bowl. Add to dry substances and toss properly.
5. Unfold the combination evenly on the baking sheet. Bake till golden brown, about 25-Half-hour. Cool utterly; stir in raisins and retailer in an hermetic container. Makes about 5 cups.
Observe: If you want, substitute 1/4 cup pure maple syrup and 1/4 cup honey for the brown sugar, and mix with liquid substances earlier than tossing with dry substances.
Artistic tip: Let children draw a label to tape or glue to the surface of a plastic storage container or glass jar. It’d say “The Johnsons’ World’s Greatest Granola.”