There’s quite a bit to be mentioned concerning the candy potato. The nutritious and scrumptious spud has a ton of well being advantages, is a flexible cooking ingredient, and has a extra storied previous than nearly any vegetable you’ll discover. Earlier than we get into every little thing to know concerning the candy potato, let’s clear up some confusion concerning the candy spud.
Little identified truth: Candy potatoes aren’t actually potatoes. As an alternative, they’re thought-about root greens and members of the morning glory household. Potatoes are a part of the nightshade household and are categorised as tubers. Regardless, we’re not going to separate hairs. They’ve been categorised as potatoes for hundreds of years, and who’re we to reinvent the wheel? What actually pushes our buttons is when individuals name candy potatoes yams.
The phrases yam and candy potato have been used interchangeably without end. Though they’re sort of the identical form and vaguely the identical shade, the 2 aren’t even carefully associated and are in two utterly totally different plant households. Candy potatoes originate from South and Central America, whereas yams come from Africa and Asia. Candy potatoes are moist and candy, whereas yams are dry and starchy. So these candied yams your Aunty has been bringing to Thanksgiving yearly are, in actual fact, candy potatoes — and you may inform her we mentioned so.
Many individuals imagine that candy potatoes are more healthy than most different potato varieties, however that’s not essentially true. All sorts of potatoes are extraordinarily wealthy in vitamins and fiber. Over time, they’ve gotten a nasty popularity as a result of they don’t match into low-carb diets and are sometimes consumed in unhealthy methods, as potato chips or in French fry kind. It’s vital to contemplate the context of what well being advantages you’re inspecting.
When taking a look at total nutrient density, the purple potato wins out. The most effective potato for weight reduction is definitely the white russet due to its excessive protein and fiber ranges that make you are feeling full longer. Additionally, when you’re searching for a keto-friendly potato, you would possibly as effectively avoid all kinds as they’re all excessive in carbs.
The well being profit classes that the candy potato takes first prize in total mineral content material. Per calorie consumed, candy potatoes meet your every day really useful dosage of magnesium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, and potassium. They’re additionally a superb supply of vision-supporting beta-carotene, having ranges many occasions over the every day really useful worth.
Lastly, candy potatoes even have been discovered to have many properties that forestall illness. They’re identified to cut back irritation within the physique, thereby decreasing the chance of weight problems and a few cancers. Their antioxidants are additionally nice for intestine well being. Candy potatoes even have the bottom glycemic index score of any potato, making them the potato of alternative for diabetics. Whether or not you’re chopping them and baking within the oven or just cooking your sweet potato in the microwave, they’re certain to offer you the vitamins and well being advantages that you just want.
There are dozens of how to benefit from the scrumptious and nutritious candy potato. They are often the star of the present, a aspect dish, or be included into one-pot meals. Listed here are a few of our favorite recipes for candy potatoes.
(Courtesy of Steven Johnson)
Candy potato chips are an incredible factor to cook dinner up in your air fryer. We suggest a big oven air fryer that comes with frying racks for this candy potato air fryer recipe. A basket air fryer may also be used; you’ll simply must fry extra batches. The great factor is that they fry up shortly in 6-8 minutes.
- 2 cups of thinly sliced candy potatoes
- 1 can of avocado oil or coconut oil (due to excessive smoke factors)
- 1.5 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (mild or darkish)
- 1.5 tablespoons of chipotle powder
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 levels F.
- Use a mandolin to slice your potato to your required thickness. The thicker they’re, the longer they’ll must be fried.
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl.
- Give the air fryer rack or basket a light-weight spray with the oil to forestall sticking.
- Lay flat as many chips as doable on the rack or basket, spray frivolously with oil, and season. Flip the chips and repeat.
- Place within the air fryer for six to eight minutes monitoring to ensure they don’t burn.
- Take away from air fryer and allow them to cool in a bowl, and repeat the method till achieved.
(Courtesy of Adria Saracino)
A baked candy potato makes for a superb meal in and of itself, particularly when it’s loaded with different goodies. This Asian twist recipe from Adria Saracino of The Emerald Palate is tremendous distinctive and scrumptious.
- 2 candy potatoes
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb floor turkey thighs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- .5-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tsp curry paste (or extra when you prefer it spicy)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- .5 can of (shaken) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Garnish: cilantro, cashews, lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375 levels F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Prick the candy potatoes throughout with a fork and place them on the sheet. Roast for 45-60 minutes till you’ll be able to insert the fork into them pretty simply. Put aside. Professional tip: I often do that half as quickly as I get dwelling whereas I’m specializing in different issues.
- In the meantime, preheat the coconut oil in a deep skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook dinner till browned, 5 minutes.
- Make a effectively within the skillet, pushing the turkey to the aspect. Add the chopped onions and cook dinner till softened and translucent, 3-5 minutes, seasoning midway by.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Prepare dinner till aromatic, one minute.
- Add the curry paste to the meat combination and stir to mix. Add the soy sauce and shaken coconut milk, and stir. Stir the brown sugar in a pool of coconut milk to dissolve, then combine it into the entire meat combination. Carry to a speedy boil, scale back the warmth to medium-low, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and stir to include. Prepare dinner till warmed by, 3-4 minutes extra. Take off the warmth and put aside.
- Minimize every candy potato size aspect, proper down the center, protecting it related as when you had been going to stuff it like a submarine sandwich. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the meat combination into every candy potato till heaping. Squeeze a lime wedge over every and garnish with cashews and cilantro leaves. Take pleasure in!
(Courtesy of Carrie Forest)
Candy potatoes and Instantaneous Pots are a match made in heaven. This recipe from Carrie Forest of the Clear Consuming Kitchen is tremendous fast, simple, and scrumptious.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless rooster cutlets, reduce into 1-inch items (can even use thighs)
- .5 tsp dried thyme
- .25 tsp garlic powder
- .25 tsp floor cinnamon
- .5 tsp sea salt
- .25 tsp floor black pepper
- .5 cup water
- 2 medium candy potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 14.5–ounce can of chopped tomatoes, with the juice
- .25 cup chopped contemporary cilantro (non-obligatory, for topping)
- 1 medium lemon or lime, juiced
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instantaneous Pot bowl and press the Sauté button. Let the oil warmth up for about two minutes.
- Place the onion and rooster within the pot and use a picket spoon or spatula to maneuver it round. Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Cancel the sauté perform and add the water, chopped candy potatoes, and tomatoes, and stir to mix.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to eight minutes on excessive stress.
- When the cooking time is up, let the stress launch naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining stress. Take away the lid and stir within the cilantro and lemon or lime juice.
- Serve instantly or retailer within the fridge in a tightly sealed container for as much as 4 days.
Learn Extra: Best Dinner Recipes
(By Natural Grocers)
Candy potatoes are so versatile they may also be dessert elements. This scrumptious, from-scratch purple candy potato pie recipe from our associates at Pure Grocers isn’t solely tasty, it’s additionally a stupendous vacation centerpiece.
For Pie Crust
- 1 tbsp chilled butter to grease the pie dish
- 1.25 cups almond flour
- .25 cup potato starch
- .5 cup tapioca flour
- .5 tsp coarse salt
- 4 tbsp chilled butter reduce into tablespoons
- 4 tbsp chilled Nutiva shortening – most well-liked or palm oil shortening measured out in tablespoons
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For Pie Filling
- 2 purple candy potatoes, one medium and one small
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 5.7-ounce can coconut milk, blended to emulsify
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- .5 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- .2 teaspoon nutmeg
- .25 teaspoon floor ginger
For Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Generously grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter.
- Add the dry elements to a meals processor and pulse to mix.
- Add butter and shortening in tablespoon-sized items, pulsing between every addition to include.
- Add the egg, coconut sugar, and vanilla. Course of for a number of minutes till the dough kinds a ball. (In the event you didn’t refrigerate your shortening, the dough won’t kind a ball. That is okay. Simply be sure you course of it till it’s completely blended. As soon as it’s completely blended, “pour” or spoon into the greased pie dish.)
- Place the dough in the midst of the greased pie dish.
- Grease your fingers with some butter and flatten the dough till the underside and the edges of the pie dish are evenly coated. Crimp the sides when you like. Poke the dough a number of occasions on the edges and the underside with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take away and let cool.
For Pie Filling
- Peel and reduce the candy potatoes into chunks. Place right into a medium-sized saucepan and canopy with water.
- Cowl and boil on excessive to medium-high warmth for five to 10 minutes, till the candy potato is fork-tender. Take away from the warmth and drain many of the water, leaving only a small quantity of water within the pan.
- Add the tablespoon of butter and mash candy potatoes with a hand masher or purée in a meals processor.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk collectively the eggs, coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Sprinkle the spices excessive of the combination previous to mixing and ensure to whisk out any lumps of spices.
- In the event you hand-mashed the candy potatoes add them to the egg combination, stir a few occasions with a spoon after which whisk till easy.
- In the event you used a meals processor to purée the potatoes, add the egg-coconut milk combination to the bowl of the meals processor and course of till easy and effectively mixed.
- If the pie crust bubbled up throughout baking, press it down.
- Pour the candy potato pie filling into the crust and bake for 50 minutes, or till pie filling is about. It must be simply barely jiggly.
- Take away from the oven and place on a wire rack to chill. Let cool for one hour previous to serving or refrigerating.
Learn Extra: Best Pie Recipes
Let’s contact on how candy potatoes have develop into a favourite American staple.Like every little thing else, Christopher Columbus took credit score for locating the candy potato on his a number of voyages to the Americas. However indigenous individuals had been cultivating them for hundreds of years. A number of the earliest cultivation information of candy potatoes date again to Peru in 750 BC. Some scientists imagine they may return even additional to 2500-1850BC.
Though Columbus did convey the candy potato again to Europe, which led to its world cultivation, he wasn’t the primary to move them throughout the ocean. In keeping with radiocarbon courting, scientists discovered prehistoric remnants of candy potato in Polynesia from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1100. How the veggie made the voyage is unsure. Nonetheless, they imagine early Polynesians would make the journey utilizing superior catamaran-style sailboats that would keep at sea for months at a time.
Since then, over 6,000 types of candy potatoes have been born, with round 100 grown and bought in the USA. This pantry staple is now sought out for its tastiness and since it’s considered as a more healthy various to the unsweetened potato varieties.